Lecture Week 3 – The Word of God: Ephesians
Heidi Kovacs did a great job of teaching us some tools for reading the Bible this week! Having been to Bible college for 3 years I expected it to be a study involving a lot of theology books and a mass academic investigation….
“Well, was I pleasantly surprised”
Using only a Bible, a concordance and a basic commentary we read Ephesians, a book in the New Testament of the Bible. Using tools from YWAM SBS (School of Biblical studies), Heidi delivered the sessions quite differently to that of a theology degree. Beholding the Word of God like treasure in my hands, I was so inspired this week reading Ephesians!
Tools for reading the Bible
- Pray- Ask God to use His word to speak to you through the Holy Spirit as you read
- Read the book as a whole – What is the historical context? What is cultural and what is for all time?
- Read it out loud
- Go into more detail. Ask the questions Who? Why? How? Where? When? What?
- Make paragraph titles for each section of the book to help you remember what it’s about
- Ask God to show you how this applies to you today and then apply it to your daily life!
“Words like… Beloved children, Redeemed, Reconciled, Destined and Unity leapt off the page”
3. Ephesians is so rich in spiritual blessing! I keep being reminded of just how far God has brought me. He has redeemed me and adopted me as His very own!